We always need a helping hand!
Whether you’re a trained vet, a student, or just an animal lover, there are many meaningful ways in which you can contribute to the work that we do.
As a charity working with limited funds, we need all the help we can get to rescue sick and injured animals from the streets of Kathmandu. Every new team member brings additional skills and manpower and this really does make a difference in our day to day operations. Fewer people mean that we can take in fewer animals – and we don’t want that!
Much of what we do is thanks to people who share our ambitions generously giving their time to do what they can to make a difference. Without you, it is certain that our work would be greatly diminished.
Volunteering can really be an amazing experience, with the memories and friends that you gain lasting a lifetime.
It’s far more rewarding than a normal vacation and gives you a much stronger sense of closeness with an otherwise unknown country.
A few of the benefits of volunteering are:
- Make amazing friends – volunteering appeals to certain people more than others, and often the type of people who are likely to volunteer at KAT end up being the best people to make friends with!
- Learn a huge amount about Nepal and the situation for people and animals here – this can be incredibly eye-opening and leave you with a new perspective on your own life back home.
- Help animals in need and the rewarding feelings that come with it. At KAT you will be on the front lines as we fight to save lives and to nurse injured animals back to health.
- Gain confidence and professional skills that can stand out on a CV or college application, as well as learning more about what type of career you might like to follow in the future.
- Volunteering is a great way to access a foreign country in a safe and guided way, which is particularly useful for people travelling alone. We can advise and support you in any way that you need before and during your visit.
- You can still do everything else that you would normally do on your vacation – go swimming, trekking, visit tourist sites, attend parties and go shopping.
The Kathmandu Animal Treatment Centre welcomes volunteers of all backgrounds – technical volunteers (veterinarians and vet students) as well as general animal lovers who simply share our passion for animals. Non-vet volunteers can participate in many important roles, including caring for our cats and dogs and assisting with treatments, helping in our office, and working on our projects and campaigns.
Due to the diversity of our volunteers and the wide range of their backgrounds, we do not run a structured volunteer program. Instead we offer you the opportunity to follow what you are most interested in without being limited to performing specific tasks. This is important as the work that needs to be done changes day by day according to what’s going on and where we are needed most.